Wednesday 5 December 2012

Monday Maths Madness 20 - Answers

As promised, here are the answers to Monday's puzzles.

1. Christmas Past, Christmas presents

Answer: On the 12th day alone, my true loves sends to me 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 + 10 + 11 + 12 = 78 presents.

Over the duration of the 12 days, my true love sends to me 12 partridges in a pear tree, 11 lots of 2 turtle doves, 10 lots of 3 French hens, and so on. In other words (or numbers I suppose) I get 2 x ((1 x 12) + (2 x 11) + (3 x 10) + (4 x 9) + (5 x 8) + (6 x 7)) = 364 presents. Which is one for every day of the year except Christmas!

2. What to wear where

We know that Miss Black can't be wearing the black dress, but she also can't be wearing green, as the woman in green answered her. Therefore, Miss Black is wearing white, Miss Green is wearing black and Miss White is wearing green.

3. A toast to toast

First, toast one side of slices 1 and 2. Second, toast the other side of slice 1, and the first side of slice 3. Third, toast the second side of slice 2 and 3. Then you have toasted both sides of 3 slices in just three toastings.

Well done if you got the answers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment