Monday 6 August 2012

Monday Maths Madness 3


Maths and food. Two of the best things. Ever. The formula for the volume of a cylinder (as pizza sort of is cylindrical. It's a circle with a height anyway) is pi x radius squared x depth. Pizza contains the word pi, two z's (z squared) and an a, so the substitution works out that pi x z x z x a = pi x radius squared x depth.


Pi is approximately equal to 3.14. It just so happens that the amount of tips needed to round off the total to $20 (yes dollars, the receipt says Los Angeles on it - good detective skills me!) is 3.14. I like that the person wrote pi instead.


This last picture reminds me of my sister. She really does not get on with maths. She likes to think she can't do it, when really she can, she just doesn't like it. I have to admit that a lot of the STEP questions I tried felt like this, but where would the fun be if it was too easy all the time?

Edit: This was meant to publish yesterday, but it didn't. I must've set up the scheduled post thing wrong...

No comments:

Post a Comment